Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Windows 7 - Day 23


Day 23 of my experience with Windows 7...

Quick observations:
  • Search functionality is really working out well. I have been searching through on how to find all files in a directory. In an effort to figure out some complex searches, I found this article on the Advanced Query Syntax (AQS) from Microsoft: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965711.aspx

Now, I realize this dates back to Windows Search 2 or 3, so the functionality exists within Windows Desktop Search(es) and Vista. However, other issues on Vista and being an avid Linux user, the advanced syntax commands didn't really interest me. Now that I am on my 4th week of Win7, getting deeper into the framework, constructs, and designs of Windows desktop software interests me more.

My use case around this is determining a decent way to find non-music files in a directory to clear out old JPG, M3U, etc., files to keep the data clean. By following the instructions on the webpage, I came up with this search in Windows Explorer:

NOT *.mp3 kind:NOT folders

I'll have to be selective on the deletes (lucky for the Recycle Bin), but this at least separates the MP3 files from other file types as well as removes "folders" from the output.

More to come... back to house cleaning on my drives.


No comments: